Sweat is an amazing function that is essential for our bodies to operate. Yes, it can sometimes be quite inconvenient and embarrass us, but now that dandi® patch has that part covered, you can let nature take its course.
Here are some surprising facts you probably didn’t know about sweat.
- Women have more sweat glands than men, but men actually produce more sweat.
- Sweat is in fact odourless. An odour is created when it reacts with certain bacteria that are on your skin.
- Sweat is colourless. Yep, that’s right, those yellow stains that appear on your shirts are in fact caused by a reaction with chemicals in your antiperspirants. Learn more about how to stop yellow stains here.
- Sweating doesn’t make you lose weight. Sorry to ruin this one for you but sweat is only made up of water, salt and protein, so once you take a drink to rehydrate the weight lost from sweat will return.
- There is such a thing as sweating too much. This is known as hyperhidrosis, it is a medical condition that almost two million people suffer with in the UK alone.
- The most concentrated area of sweat glands is on the bottom of your feet, while the least is on your back. The reason you feel your underarms sweat so much is because the area isn’t very ventilated, making it difficult for sweat to evaporate.
- Certain foods can make you sweat more. This can be because they increase your metabolism which, in turn, increases your body temperature resulting in your body producing sweat to cool you down.
- On average humans sweat approximately 278 gallons of sweat each year.
- The only areas of your body that do not have sweat glands are your ears, lips and nails.
- Like your fingerprint, body odour (otherwise known as BO), is unique to every individual.
How many of these facts did you know? Let us know in the comments below.